I am a second-year PhD student in computational linguistics at Uppsala University (🇸🇪), supervised by Joakim Nivre and Anders Søgaard. My research interests include multilingual NLP, latent syntax, linguistic typology, and interpretability. Before my PhD, I graduated from the EM-LCT program, where I spent my first year at the University of Groningen (🇳🇱) and my second year at the the University of the Basque Country (🇪🇸). I grew up in Western Massachusetts (🇺🇸).
- A Kulmizev, V Ravishankar, M Abdou, J Nivre: Do Neural Language Models Show Preferences for Syntactic Formalisms?. The 58th Annual Meeting of the Association for Computational Linguistics (ACL 2020). Digital.
- A Kulmizev, M de Lhoneux, J Gontrum, E Fano, J Nivre: Deep Contextualized Word Embeddings in Transition-Based and Graph-Based Dependency Parsing – A Tale of Two Parsers Revisited. Conference on Empirical Methods in Natural Language Processing (EMNLP 2019). Hong Kong.
- M Abdou, A Kulmizev, F Hill, D Low, A Søgaard: Higher-order Comparisons of Sentence Encoder Representations. Conference on Empirical Methods in Natural Language Processing (EMNLP 2019). Hong Kong.
- M Abdou, A Kulmizev, V Ravishankar, L Abzianidze, J Bos: What can we learn from Semantic Tagging?. Conference on Empirical Methods in Natural Language Processing (EMNLP 2018). Brussels, Belgium.
- M Abdou, A Kulmizev, V Ravishankar: MGAD: Multilingual Generation of Analogy Datasets. 11th edition of the Language Resources and Evaluation Conference (LREC 2018). Miyazaki, Japan.
- June 2020: Participated in IWPT 2020 Shared Task on Parsing into Enhanced Universal Dependencies.
- February 2020: Invited talk at 2020 NLPL Winter School, with Joakim Nivre. Skeikampen, Norway.
- November 2019: Poster presentation and talk at EMNLP 2019. Hong Kong.
- October 2019: Attended 1st EurNLP summit. London, England.
- July 2019: Attended LxMLS 2019. Lisbon, Portugal.
- July 2019: Attended Reinforcement Learning Summer SCOOL. Lille, France.
- June 2019: Attended 3rd Google NLP summit. Zurich, Switzerland.
- June 2019: Program committee, NoDaLiDa 2019.
- February 2019: Attended 2019 NLPL Winter School. Skeikampen, Norway.
- November 2018: Poster presentation at EMNLP 2018. Brussels, Belgium.
- June 2018: Poster presentation at TABU Dag. Groningen, Netherlands.
- June 2018: Participated in SemEval-2018 Task 1: Affect in Tweets. Winning group.
- June 2018: Participated in SemEval-2018 Task 10: Capturing Discriminative Attributes.
- May 2018: Poster presentation at LREC 2018. Miyazaki, Japan.
- September 2017: Poster presentation at BEA 2017 @ EMNLP 2017. Copenhagen, Denmark.
- September 2017: Participated in BEA 2017 shared task.
- July 2017: Attended ESSLLI 2017. Toulouse, France.
- June 2017: Attended LOT Summer School. Leiden, Netherlands.
- Advanced Programming. First period, Spring Term 2020. Master’s Programme in Language Technology. Uppsala University.
- Natural Language Processing. Second Period, Fall Term 2019. Master’s Programme in Language Technology. Uppsala University.